Send a Kid to Camp
Donate to the Send a Kid to Camp Campaign?
Donate through Network for Good’s secure website. Please put YMCA Camp Hanes in the optional Designation line.
What is the Send a Kid to Camp Campaign?
In June of 1927, Harry Long brought a small group of young boys fromWinston-Salemto the all new John W. Hanes Memorial YMCA camp to experience the great outdoors! Over eighty years later, more than 2,500 young boys and girls come to summer camp at YMCA Camp Hanes to experience the great outdoors, make lifelong friends and create lasting memories at the “400 Acre Memory Maker.”.
Our camping programs, which leave a positive impact on a child, their family, and their communities, are designed around our ABCs of camping:
A: to increase a sense of accomplishment in every child
B: to broaden each child’s sense of belonging
C: to teach character traits (faith, honesty, caring, respect and responsibility) using Jesus Christ as our role model
Through participation in the Annual Campaign, you can help YMCA Camp Hanes continue our more than 80 year camping tradition for future generations, insuring none are left out.
YMCA Camp Hanes partners with various groups so that we can affect the lives of Everyone, Everywhere. By doing so, we reach out to children who otherwise would not be able to experience Camp and offer them the opportunity to create lifelong memories.
- Our partners for 2012 Resident camp include:
- Camp Imagine and The Autism Society ofForsythCounty
- The American Diabetes Association’s Camp Carolina Trails serving campers with diabetes.
- US Army Reserve Child & Youth Services: We hosted children whose parents are in the U.S. Army Reserve.
- The Youth Empowerment Support Services (Catholic Youth Services)
- Omega Psi Phi: We partnered with the professional fraternity to host camp to instill discipline and pride in young African-American men, many of whom come from single-parent families.
In addition to summer camp partners, we served over 17,000 people in 2012. Our Environmental education program provides schools a hands-on, safe and fun educational experience in a camp environment. Our conference department serves collegiate, civic, church and corporate groups with meeting and overnight facilities, food service and programming designed to fit each group’s specific needs.
In 2013 we foresee even more requests than in the past for financial assistance for campers to experience the positive influence of YMCA Camp Hanes. Our 2013 goal for our Send a Kid to Camp Campaign is $150,000 and your support is vital to helping us meet that goal.